Trash Pick Up

Today I was out front with my kids. E was riding her bike and someone had busted a bottle to the side of our house on the sidewalk. She almost cut her foot. Then there was a gatorade bottle on the street near our yard. Then I saw 3 teenage boys walking home from school and they threw an empty can on my neighbors yard. I said, "you should pick that up"& he said it was not his and I said I saw you throw it. Then they just kept walking. I said I know where yall live & will tell your parents. Then they walked around the block & while I was inside they picked up the can. I went back outside & they were walking past again & I said, "look I am not trying to be mean I just want you to pick up your trash" they showed me that they pick it up & I said thank you that is so good of you.
In between the time I asked them to pick up the trash I had gone inside & called DH. We were worried they would come back and do something to our house. You know it is really sad that we have to be scared to exercise our authority as parents and adults. But I am really glad I had the courage to stand up to them & that it turned out good. Now hopefully they won't throw their trash down again, at least not when I am watching.

5 comments:

Allyson 2:00 PM  

You go girl!

Lexi 3:33 PM  

Yeah, I wouldn't try that in New Orleans. You're liable to get shot! Hopefully no more broken bottles will make their way into your yard. That glass is dangerous- especially the little shards you can't quite see. Good for you for standing your ground- but please be careful! I don't want to hear about someone retaliating and hurting you on the news.

Kathy 3:43 PM  

well if I lived in new Orleans I would not dream of doing the same thing. Also these were young highschool age and I knew where they lived.

Holly 9:28 PM  

Good job! That's not an easy thing to do. You would/will make a good teacher. What age do you want to teach?

Unknown 12:10 AM  

Good for you. I HATE (yes I said HATE) people who litter. It is one of my biggest pet peeves.