Sweet or Sour?

She might LOOK sweet.....let me just fill you in on our weekend with out Steve (he is in Utah). The story begins...Last night we make it to bed at about 9:30pm (not bad right) Well it is not bad except when you have to sleep in a twin bed with a toddler who pushes you out. I tried to get her to sleep in her bed by herself but after her very loud high pitched screams won over (I did not want her to wake Spencer) I said come in my bed & lay by me cause daddy is gone. She came & after 1 min started to scream & say "I want to sleep in my bed." Note she is half asleep at this point. So I thought GREAT that's where I want you to sleep. So I took her into her bed & kissed her good night. As soon as I left the room she starts screaming her famous "Mommy lay by you" (which means I want you to lay by me mommy) so I said, No go to bed & her screams just got louder & longer so I eventually went in & laid by her. She fell asleep about 30 min later. She kept saying "mommy did you hear that? That was a doggy............or a train.........or an airplane etc......Then all through the night she wake up about 5 different times. I can only remember a few or the reasons. " I am thirsty- I want my milk", Hit her head against the wall (her bed is next to the wall). Then one time she said her other famous line "mommy go away" So I got in my bed at about 3am and then about 5:15am she comes in & says "Mommy, I awake!" Needless to say I don't even know why I try to sleep at night.
This morning I took the kids to see the Easter Bunny & get a free 5X7 photo (seen below) & the first thing Emma does is climb up into all the plants & easter decorations (behind the roped line). She is getting farther & farther away from me while smashing all the plants on her way. I got her out and thankfully the line was short & we got a cute picture.
Everywhere we go people always tell me things like "oh, she must keep you busy or on your toes" or "she looks like a handful" or "she's fast" (while she is running away because she refuses to be strapped into a stroller or anything for that matter. She must carry the same genes as her Grandma Upchurch and 2nd Cousin Allyson. The claustrophobia gene) or "I don't know how you do it" to which I reply........."People have done it for hundreds of years".
Even though days with young children can be challenging there are the small moments that make it all worth it. Like Emma singing "I am a child of God" out of the blue, or when she says "mommy don't cry, I am sorry" or when a stranger at the grocery store tells you that she works with kids & she wants to commend you for the way you handled your toddler who just threw a tantrum. I just feel amazingly blessed to be a mother and know that you can't have the sweet moments unless you first experience the sour ones.

0 comments: